March 31, 2011

Holi Moly!

What a way to welcome Spring! Holi is a Hindu festival that greets spring with all kinds of color! They spend time in prayer, fellowship, eat food, and have a good time together throwing colored water and dye powders at one another! I want to do this... it's absolutely going on my bucket list!! My friend Kristen had a birthday/going away party last weekend where she replicated this festival of sorts! I was sad I had to miss it. Anyway, as with many traditions, there is always a legend as to how the celebration came about.  Here is one that I found... "One of the best-known stories tells the tale of the demoness Holika, who tried to kill Prahlad, the son of the demon king Hiranyakashyap, for refusing to worship his father. Instead, Holika is consumed in flames, which is replayed each year with bonfires and effigies, before the celebrants break out the hues and cries of the festival." Now watch this awesome video of the Holi festival in Spanish Fork, Utah.  They put on the largest celebration in the Western Hemisphere! I think this is just absolutely beautiful! 

1 comment: